Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Random Start: One More Time by Daft Punk

When I moved to Nashville I got involved in a local club for teens called Rocketown, and learned how to DJ there under Mike Linney and DJ Majik.  A lot of my friends at the time were into house music as well and we started going to "raves" or parties together.  My best friend Danny and I eventually became Rocketown's house DJs and I got the chance to be in the weekend rotation at the Underground, a club that was on 2nd Ave in Nashville that's now closed.  I started in the back room but eventually got moved into the main room.  I didn't know anything about anything then and they barely paid me at all.  DJing and hunting for records was at lot of fun back then, but it was an expensive hobby.  At the time we'd have to go to Atlanta or St. Louis to find decent records, and you'd be able to get a record for $6-12 that you only use one track from.  


The one "set" I remember developing would go from kind of traditional deep house to Chicago house, then get into breakbeats and the acidy sound that was popular at the time.  I would usually work in a Daft Punk track in the transition into the breakbeats.  Man, this was a long time ago, but it was fun.  

No comments:

Post a Comment