Saturday, January 7, 2012

Playoffs? You Wanna Talk About Playoffs? Playoffs?

Even though my interest in the NFL has waned this year we're now into the playoffs and it gets more interesting.  Some good matchups this weekend.

Bengals at Texans: If the Titans aren't in the playoffs I'm glad to see that the Texans are (and NOT the Colts...sorry Indy family).  They're a division rival, but I like what they've done in building their team.  It's just too bad they're down to a 3rd or 4th string quarterback (with about 4 more sitting on the sideline) or they could really do something.  This is the first of what I think are several tossup games this weekend.  It's hard to like the Bengals, but I find myself rooting for their rookie QB, Andy Dalton.  I think this kid has "it" and will be a good player for years.  Too bad he's in Cincy.  Texans win 34-28

Lions at Saints: This, to me, is the premier matchup of the weekend.  If it's what it appears to be we'll get a shootout, which should make for fun watching.  Stats aside, I have a lot of friends on both sides of this game and find it hard to root one way or the other.  I don't think I'll really decide who I'm pulling for until the game is going - when I'll probably start pulling for the team that's behind to make a comeback.  The Saints are a powerhouse and that goes without saying.  I really like that the Lions have done.  As soon as they hired Jim Schwartz from the Titans I thought it was the start of good things.  He's brought in some good players, including Vanden Bosch from the Titans, to be a guy that sets the pace for work ethic.  They've drafted well and are playing with self-respect again.  They're still a team that is developing, and heading upward with some distance to go.  Saints win 38-34

Falcons at Giants: I don't follow the NFC too closely, but from that knowledge I see the Giants as a flawed team with a QB who can be perfect at times and vulnerable at others, and a strong running game...and oh yeah, a receiver named Cruz who is lighting up the stats this year.  In the ATL I see a solid QB who's had a bad year, and an elite running back and a strong defense.  I think Falcons win this one on the road, and keep our family and friends down in GA happy for this weekend.  Falcons win 24-17

Steelers at Tebows, I mean Broncos: It's been a crazy year for the Broncos with their awful start followed by their miraculous rescue by Tim Tebow.  I didn't think he'd be any good in the NFL either, and it's cool to see him proving people wrong.  And while we can never judge someone's heart or spiritual life, I do have a sense that Tebow is legit.  There's been a lot of funny stuff coming out this week about the sinful Steelers/Big Ben (don't want to look up how to spell his last name) coming to town vs. the saintly Tebow: "Hide yo wives, Big Ben is in town", "Who do you think God is for - his follower Tebow, or the rapist?"....well, they're funny to me.  In the end I think the Steelers will be too much, and have too much experience for the Broncos.  Steelers win 24-13

Saturday 2 home winners, Sunday 2 road winners.  These picks are based on nothing but my sitting here and typing for 5 minutes and gut feeling.  No research.  Place your bets!!

Spurs are playing their B team in a 3rd round FA Cup match against a lower tier team and hold a 2 goal lead at half.  Not much interesting happening in the soccer world this weekend.  Looking forward to seeing Spurs play their makeup game v Everton on Wednesday.  Even though Tim Howard and Landon Donovan are on the Everton side I'll still be supporting Spurs.

No comments:

Post a Comment