Friday, January 13, 2012

Playoffs? You Still Want To Talk About Playoffs? Playoffs?

So we're into week 2 of the NFL playoffs and the four teams that won their first round games are visiting those who earned a bye.  Last week I picked both Saturday games right, but missed on both Sunday games.  Let's see if I can do better than 50% this week.  After all, I'm the guy that won NFL Pick'em contests among both co-workers and on a group put together by Thrice's Riley Breckenridge.  Maybe I have a bright future in gambling.


Saints at 49ers: Once again, I have friends on both sides of this one.  In talking with one today he said it won't be about what each team's strength does (Saints offense and 49ers defense) but about whose weakness is less weak.  I get that.  This is a tough game to pick.  These 49ers are new to success, but I have a feeling they're up to the task.  However, the Saints are rolling right now and I see their offense overwhelming the 49ers very high quality defense.  Saints win 24-13


Tebows, I mean Broncos at Patriots: I picked against Tebow last week and missed.  I bet most of the country did.  My mind says the Broncos simply won't be able to match up against the Patriots, but this other part of me (maybe an elbow) says don't bet against Tebow.  A team with a good ground game can get it done in New England.  Let's go with Broncos 27-21


Texans at Ravens: If things had worked out differently for the Titans over the last few years this could have been a game where I'd simply hate both teams.  The rivalry with Baltimore isn't what it used to be at all and Harbaugh is a good guy coach...an anti-Billick if you will.  This is the first time Houston has really challenged for a spot in the playoffs so instead of thinking of them as the intra-division rival I'm kind of happy for them...just wish they weren't down to a 3rd string quarterback.  In this case Baltimore should be far better with their running game and defense.  Ravens win 28-13


Giants at Packers: I don't think I even need to think about this one that hard.  Packers win big 31-17.  


Moving on to my other football love, Tottenham Hotspur.  They FINALLY played that game they've had in hand since August's riots in London and beat Everton 2-0 on Wednesday.  Now they sit level with Manchester United at 2nd place in the EPL table, and just 3 points behind Manchester City.  Spurs face Wolves tomorrow at White Hart Lane (home), then face Man City for the 2nd and final time this season next Sunday...and AT City.  Hopefully it will be a chance to pull level with them for top of the table...or perhaps even to rise to the top spot alone.  And hopefully Scott Parker will be back for both games, even though Jake Livermore was a quality backfill in his absence.  For what it's worth I think Spurs will beat Wolves, but that Man City will beat Wigan and they'll still be 3 points apart by the time they play each other.


I'm new to following EPL and don't know all the history, but I think Spurs really do have a shot at winning the league this year, and they do look at least to be in solid position to qualify for Champions League play next year.  When that happens I only hope they can keep together the core who are making this happen now.  Adebayor and Parker were just signed this Fall and they have been MAJOR cogs in this machine that is Spurs.  COYS!


Speaking of playoffs, I find myself wishing there was a playoff scenario in EPL.  I guess that's a topic for another time...

No comments:

Post a Comment