Thursday, January 12, 2012

More Windows Phone Musings

A month or so ago I wrote a post about what's going right and wrong for Windows Phone, and it focused mostly on ways that I think Microsoft is blowing it when they actually do have something killer to offer.  This is CES week in Las Vegas, a time when makers of tech gadgets launch new products or simply promote what they already have.  In the last post I also mentioned that Nokia was going to be launching new Windows Phone handsets and would be the biggest hardware partner supporting the OS.  My first good cell phone was by Nokia.  While they've been out of the mobile scene in the U.S. they're still a major player worldwide.  This will end up being a good move for both Microsoft and Nokia.  The handsets already launched in Europe are very popular and the handsets launching in the U.S. are receiving positive reviews.

So now for some post-CES happenings commentary.  I've read a lot of articles saying that the Nokia Lumia 900 and HTC Titan II, both of which will be on AT&T, stole the show in the mobility category.  Admittedly, I'm getting this from blogs and Twitter posts from writers who are supportive of the Windows Phone platform, but I do see the excitement there.  I also see this as an opportunity that simply can't be missed.  There are killer devices out for Android and the iPhone 4S is pretty awesome (I must admit).  So what's the barrier to really making this thing happen?

Carriers.  Carriers rule the world in mobile.  Yes, the iPhone thrived for years exclusively with AT&T.  When it launched it was a revolutionary product that was supported by unending marketing.  They could afford to place all emphasis with one carrier, and frankly still could today.  

This week a Sprint executive told PC Magazine they were disappointed in Windows Phone sales on their network and aren't that excited to offer another handset...that maybe they'd think about it in August/September.  This is getting lots of backlash from Sprint customers and has even led to a petition being launched to make Sprint aware that its customers would like more choice.  It shouldn't be news to anyone that Sprint's sales of their ONLY Windows Phone device has been disappointing.  Their offering is the HTC Arrive, a heavy handset with a slideout physical keyboard and a screen that tilts up at an angle when slid out.  I've been with Sprint for over 15 years and jumped at the chance to get a Windows Phone on their network.  I have zero use for the physical keyboard which makes the phone far too heavy and bulky...would much prefer a body style like a Samsung Focus S or HTC Titan, both of which boast a larger screen but weigh less than my phone.  And both of which are more traditional form factors that users are looking for these days.  I settled for this oddball, heavy handset because I wanted to use the Windows Phone OS, but users who are simply shopping won't be so forgiving - so again, Sprint shouldn't act surprised that sales are low for this handset.  

After reading blogs and articles and comments on those articles it's clear that people are passionate about their phones.  These aren't just phones anymore.  We're using them all day, every day for just about any task you can imagine.  It's my link to my social networks, my family, my news, sports teams, maps, music, recipes, games, books and more.  We're all constantly looking at our phones for a reason - because there's always something going on there or something to do there.  I saw video of people who were passionate about their current phones trying out Windows Phone, or even competing with it in Ben the PC Guy's #smokedbywindowsphone challenges.  People came away truly impressed at the style and speed demonstrated in the platform...and the few that won the challenge walked away with $100.  

To reiterate the closing of my last post, I'd like to see more carriers offering multiple handsets running Windows Phone.  Personally, I don't see light at the end of the tunnel with Sprint and plan to jump to AT&T since they are showing commitment to the platform, AND are launching phones that will work on their LTE network.  I love everything my phone does, but am tired of this heavy, bulky device...looking forward to the Lumia 900 or Titan II.

No comments:

Post a Comment