Monday, July 27, 2015

A Word on Politics

BLECH!!!

Now, here's what I really meant to say.

I have a pretty serious disdain for politics and elections and all the waste and dishonesty that are present in the process/system. However I am starting to pay attention to candidates and trying to sort out what they're really like (as if that's even possible). There are a million ways to criticize politicians, but there's one that I think is unfair: 

Flip-flopper

Politicians are criticized and written off because they changed their minds about something. 

Really? (said Seth and Amy)

Granted, there are folks that will change their position to one that's more in line with what the electorate wants, but what about the folks that change their position because they legitimately learned something and had a real change of thinking? I know I've done it. We all have. No one is the same as they were a few years ago - at least I hope not.  We're all learning, and growing, and changing, and hopefully getting better.  

I'd think the last thing we'd want in leadership is the person who is so solidly entrenched in their positions and opinions that they're not open to change. Liiiike maybe the folks still denying climate change, for instance.

In the last presidential election Mitt Romney wasn't my guy, but it wasn't because he was branded a "flip-flopper." I just didn't trust him. But I think he would have stood a much better shot at winning if people took a change of mind as a potential postitive instead of a negative.

All of this is just to implore folks to be open to a candidate's changed positions...and probably have to overlook some skeletons in closets too. It's hard to believe people put themselves through major elections. I watched the "Mitt" documentary about the last election cycle and it really drags the candidates and their families through hell. 

Oh, and #AnyoneButTrump. For real.  


No comments:

Post a Comment