Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Best Musical Finds of 2012 (So Far)

Thanks to social media and simple blogging forums I've begun to contribute my own entries to the end of year "Best of" lists that we see every year.  My list for 2011 included not only some truly "new" music from 2011, but also music or artists that were new to me that I felt were discoveries worth sharing.  

I use both Zune Marketplace and Spotify to find music and I've been finding a lot and sharing a lot lately, so the time feels right to compile and post.  In no particular order: 

Bad Veins - The Mess We've Made

I first found Bad Veins when they opened for Thrice on a tour I didn't get to see.  I make it a habit to "study" opening bands on shows I'm seeing, both so I can enjoy the openers and possibly find some good new music.  The trend with touring lately isn't so much little bands paying to tour with bigger ones, but the headliners picking their openers based on what they like or an artist they want to promote.  I've found LOTS of good music lately in studying openers.  That said, Bad Veins is a duo who had been doing a kind of avant garde electro-pop thing but now have matured into a more accessible (if it makes sense to even call it that) sound with GREAT songwriting.  Accessible's probably not a good word because I still don't see them becoming a "commercial" success anytime soon.  In fact, they're about to do a show here in Nashville at the broom closet downtown known as The End.

City and Colour - Little Hell

I JUST started listening to City and Colour based on hearing about them from virtually everyone I respect musically (artists and friends).  This is the solo project of Dallas Green of Alexisonfire, another band I haven't checked out yet.  It took a minute for me to "feel it" but after a few times through I'm really into the instrumentation and melodies.  If anyone happens to read this I'm sure some of you already know of and like City and Colour.

Hot Water Music - Exister

I can't explain why but I've been resistant to try Hot Water Music for a long time.  They're a favorite among the guys in Thrice, which usually prompts me to check it out, but I just hadn't done it until now.  So far this is the only record of theirs I've checked out and I'm digging it.  Solid rock music with gritty guitar tones & vocals, but also with good melodies and a punk backbone.  As I write this I'm adding the rest of their catalog to my "New Rock" playlist in Spotify...more on that later.

Fun. - Some Nights

I'm hearing some people are already getting tired of them, but they're new to me.  Perhaps they are going to suffer overexposure, but these cats know their way around a verse and a hook - and I'm a sucker for catchy songs.  If they didn't curse so much I'd listen to them more with my kids around - I think they'd dig it too.

Lamb of God - Resolution

I've never liked Lamb of God - until now.  Word of warning - this band is FAR from being a Christian band.  I have a taste for heavy music and have sampled their records over the years and just not liked them.  I even saw them open for Metallica and didn't pay much attention to it.  I'd love to see them again because this record is near metal perfection.  I may not have a chance to see them anytime soon.  The singer Randall Blythe is currently being held on manslaughter charges from a show a few years ago in Europe where a fan was killed in an on-stage confrontation that involved Blythe but also venue security.  Blythe is getting lots of support from the music community, including from Norma Jean, a band with Christian leanings, so I'm going with innocent until proven guilty for now.  This record is a burner and if you like heavy music it's worth checking out.  

I'm a full on audiophile and sample new music all the time.  Lately I'm compiling it in a frequently changing playlist on Spotify called New Rock.  I've shared it with a lot of friends, and dig into their playlists to find new stuff as well.  

No comments:

Post a Comment