Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Anticipation Building For Our WDW Trip

As I mentioned in my last post about this trip, we have all of our dining reservations arranged and there's really no more planning to do.  I was probably extra neurotic before making ADRs because of the size of our group, and wanting to get it all arranged so there'd be no worries.  I've never made them 180 days out, and as a result have never had a situation like now where things are mostly planned out this far in advance.  I enjoy all that WDW has to offer and enjoy planning the trips, so it's been kind of weird to not have much to do with it after the rush leading up to the ADR date.  Now we're 88 days out and I'm thinking about some of the things I'm looking forward to in this trip.

The big difference this time around is that we are a large group.  It will be my family's 3rd time going together, and our last trip inlcuded my Father-in-law.  This time will also include my Bro and Sis-in-law and their two kids who will be 5 and 2.  Danny (BIL) hasn't been since he was a kid and Kylee (SIL) went once in college I believe.  A LOT has changed since then and I'm looking forward to showing it to them.  And of course showing it to their kids, Jack and James, and trying to find things to make the trip a bit more "magical" for them.

Part of the fun of WDW is that it has established its own history and legacy.  While it is a theme park, and one of many, the scope of the entire resort project is on a level unmatched by anything we've ever seen.  Part of its grandeur is that it has its own myths, legends, hidden history and rabid, cultish fan-base.  WDW fans are opinionated and passionate.  The current feeling among the fan-base is that WDW has not been kept-up and updated as much as it should be (and to some extent I agree), but to the casual fan and first timer it's still a wonder to behold.  For me, it's an escape.  And that's why I keep going back for more.

We have 7 day Park Hopper passes, so we should be able to tour the parks at a reasonable pace.  I can admit I stressed myself out the last trip trying to move our group from point A to B too quickly and REALLY want to avoid making the same mistake on this trip.  We're going during Fall Break, and while this is normally a low crowd time of year this year is a bit different due to several events.  Our dates are right at the beginning of the Food & Wine festival, so the weekends will be busy.  We'll be there for Epcot's 30th anniversary (which I'm excited about since I LOVE Epcot) and my wife and FIL Mike are running in the first ever Tower of Terror Ten-Miler, a race that is run through Disney's Hollywood Studios.  Knowing there could be some busy days I'm basing our plan on Crowd Calendars from TouringPlans.com, who are also the authors of the Unofficial Guides to WDW.

Hopefully by having a plan and trying to avoid some crowds we can keep a non-frenetic pace and I can show them some of the hidden "easter eggs" that are ALL OVER WDW.  The imagineers are a sharp bunch and the detail that goes into nearly every aspect of the resort is astounding.  

As always I'm looking forward to the food at WDW.  Because we have a large group I planned our meals to be group friendly and we're mainly going to buffets so everyone can get something they want.  We're going to Chef Mickey's (which I think is WAY underrated as far as the food goes), Hollywood & Vine (expectations are low for this one), O'hana for breakfast (not buffet, but family style), and Hoop Dee Doo Review (AYCE ribs/chicken/beer/wine - yeah, it's awesome).  Le Cellier will be our one table restaurant where we order from a menu.  I've always wanted to go there and was surprised we were able to get a reservation.

The remainder will be counter service meals and snacks.  I'm kind of a foodie, and when I'm on vacation I like for every meal to have a special something (if possible) - so part of my strategy here is to try to AVOID the bad counter service spots.  If we're naming names - Pizzafari - ugh!! Also, as a veteran WDW visitor I'm sad to say I've NEVER had a Dole Whip, and I plan to rectify that on this trip.

All said, I'm looking forward to a fun filled trip, and sharing the things I love about WDW with some folks in my family who haven't been there in a long time or are about to see the Castle, Space Ship Earth, etc. for the first time ever.

Patty and I honeymooned at WDW in 1998 and stayed at the same resort we're staying at this year, Port Orleans French Quarter.  No offense to the kids, but sometime I think I would like to return there with Patty and have a different kind of trip.  I'd want to stay at the Beach Club and have walking access to the International Gateway to World Showcase at Epcot and Hollywood Studios.  And plan some more unique table meals - we've barely experienced the tip of the iceberg with regard to what if offered food-wise at WDW.

No comments:

Post a Comment